Lexington, KY – Aug. 21, 2023 – The National Horse Show is pleased to announce the opening of entries for the Leo Conroy Equitation Grant (LCEG). The highly sought-after grant was established in 2015 to honor long-time horseman Leo Conroy, who co-managed the National Horse Show and was Chairman of the National Horse Show Equitation Committee. Conroy helped many young equestrians achieve their goal of competing in the ASPCA Maclay Championships at the National Horse Show. The Grant has since been expanded to include the Hamel Foundation NHS 3’3″ Equitation Championship and the Taylor Harris Insurance Services NHS Adult Equitation Championship.
To commemorate Conroy’s loyalty and dedication to equestrian sport, the National Horse Show established a grant fund in his name: The Leo Conroy Equitation Grant. This grant will be awarded to up to five (5) from each of the three Equitation Championships. Each rider must demonstrate a financial need in order to participate at the National Horse Show.
Riders must apply online starting August 21, 2023 at www.nhs.org to be considered for the grant.
1) The Leo Conroy Equitation Grant is open to riders who qualify to compete in the ASPCA Maclay Finals, Hamel Foundation NHS 3’3″ Equitation Championship or the Taylor Harris Insurance Services NHS Adult Equitation Championship.
2) Selected rider for the Leo Conroy Equitation Grant will receive entry fees and stabling at the ASPCA Maclay Finals, the Hamel Foundation NHS 3’3″ Equitation Championships or the Taylor Harris Insurance Services NHS Adult Equitation Championship, and an additional stipend to cover show related expenses.
3) The Leo Conroy Equitation Grant will require the following information: Rider’s complete contact information, trainer’s complete contact information, and three (3) references. Applicants will also be required to complete a two-part essay.
Part 1: How have your equestrian experiences added to the development of your personal character?
Part 2: Describe the applicant’s basis for financial need.
Applicants can apply by visiting the National Horse Show website and completing the form with the information outlined above. All applications must be completed and submitted online through www.nhs.org.
No hard copy applications will be accepted. Applicants will receive a confirmation email when their application is received.
The 140th annual National Horse Show is set to take place at the Kentucky Horse Park October 25 to November 5, 2023. This year’s event will highlight feature classes including:
- $226,000 Longines FEI Jumping World Cup Lexington 4*
- $50,000 National Horse Show Hunter Classic
- $25,000 National Horse Show Junior/Amateur Jumper Grand Prix
- ASPCA Maclay National Championship
- Hamel Family Foundation NHS 3’3″Equitation Championship
- Taylor Harris insurance Services Adult Equitation Championships